Dr. Raj Mehrotra is ex Professor & Head of Pathology, ex member, Executive Council, ex Dean (Principal), faculty of Medicine, King George Medical University UP (KGMU), Lucknow. He did M.D. in Pathology from King George’s Medical University, Lucknow in 1977. Underwent Postgraduate specialization in Anatomic Diagnostic Pathology, Molecular Pathology, Post-doctorate fellowships at London school of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Royal Free Hospital Medical School, College of Surgeons & Physicians, Mount Sinai Medical School and Albert Einstein Medical School, New York, USA. He was awarded Career Development Fellowships by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India.
He was consultant in Surgical Pathology in International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC/WHO) and INSERM U271, Lyon, France. He has received academic awards during his undergraduate (Certificate of Honor in Medicine, IInd position in Merit in MBBS Examination), and postgraduate studies (Best M.D. thesis award and best research work for the year 1977 in Medical Faculty by Lucknow University).
He was awarded Gordon Signy award, World Foundation of Pathology USA, WHO Fellowships, Commonwealth Foundation Award, British Council visiting Fellowships, International Cancer Research Technology Transfer Fellowships (twice) by UICC, Geneva and worked with Noble Laurette Prof. B.S. Blumberg at Foxchase Cancer Research centre, Philadelphia, USA. He has also received International Research Award for the work done on Liver Cancer published in British Journal of Cancer. “Khanolkar Prize”awarded by the Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists for the best published research in Pathology during the year 1979. Smt. Kunti Devi Mehrotra Award by Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists for the best published research in Pathology during the year 1986. He joined as Assistant Professor in 1978 at King George Medical University and then rose to Associate Professor and finally as Professor & Head of Pathology.
Expertise areas :
- Undergraduate/Postgraduate teaching
- Surgical Pathology experience : 35years. Has set up current state of art laboratories at his Institute for Surgical Pathology, Immunodiagnostic and molecular pathology, Cytopathology at KGMU.
- Special Areas of interest : Oncopathology, G.I., Hepatobiliary / Pancreatic Pathology, Endocrine Pathology, Genito Urinary & Renal Pathology (Including Transplant), Breast Pathology, Male/Female Genital Tract, Soft Tissue Tumour.
- Published more than 100 original research papers, Guided : More than 63 M.D./Ph.D. thesis.
- Research Funding : Has carried out 21 research projects as Principal investigator funded both from Indian (Govt./Semi Govt./Private sector) as well as International Agencies (WHO, Indo French Centre for Advance Research, USSR Academy of Sciences).
- M.D./PhD examiner : AIIMS, New Delhi, PGI Chandigarh, University of Delhi etc.
- Expert to UPSC, ICMR, UGC, DBT, CSIR.
- Patents : Foreign two (USA & Europe), Indian Four.
- Honorary Consultant : Dabur Research Foundation, New Delhi.